CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 19, 2012

AVON nailwear pro - fabulous or disastrous?

Many months ago, AVON launched a new set of colors in their NAILWEAR PRO line called Carnival of color. 








The selection of colors caught my attention so I decided to go ahead and try out four of them.




*Sweet Mint, **Fuchsia Fun ***Blue Escape ****Orange Creamsicle

I have read many positive reviews on how girls love them and so on, but I've also happen to stumble upon many others who have been disappointed. So let us take a look at some small details that could either make them fabulous or disastrous.

First it is their main attraction, the price where 2.99 would make them rather inexpensive, is that it says they can last UP TO 10 days. At first I thought: "Wow, 10 days I've got to have them", but what they are really saying is that they could last 10 days or less, depending on so many variables.


Then it suddenly caught my eye the * next to the LASTS UP TO 10 DAYS* and see that bellow it says "With normal touch up" meaning that in order to make them last at least 10 days, one must touch them up every so often.

Experience:
So having all of that in mind, I will share with you my experience with them and show some pictures of the sweet mint, which I am currently wearing.


This is my fourth day. Its difficult to notice, but all of my fingers have started to chip off at the end of the nails. I just applied one coat and a top coat to touch up. Initially I thought what a great product this was, the second coat applies smoothly and the color selection is fantastic.

Pros:
  • Inexpensive (when on sale, $2.99)
  • Good variety of colors (at least 28)
  • Smooth even finish
  • Somewhat thick consistency (not watery, but not thick. More in between)
  • Can last up to 10 days***

***How to make them last:
  1. Do a manicure (a properly buffed nail will make the color last even longer)
  2. Turn off any fan (the breeze will ruin the smoothness and dry off the brush applier)
  3. Apply base coat (wait 1 minute)
  4. Apply 1st coat of enamel
  5. Wait 10-15 minutes (make sure to put your favorite tv show)
  6. Apply 2nd coat of enamel
  7. Wait another 10-15 minutes
  8. Apply a top coat
  9. Touch up every 3-4 days (with 1 coat of color and 1 top coat)
So this is what I basically do every time I paint my nails with any brand. And I find that each step is essential to making them last those promised 10 days. I have skipped at least 1 step some other times and believe me, the quality will be much less. The color would start to chip in a day or two. 

Cons:
  • They take forever to dry, even after 20 minutes of patience and watching Vampire Diaries, they could still get ruined if you rub them against fabric.
  • They chip off at the end of the nail probably by the second day

Overall, I find that for the price, these enamels provide a decent quality finished "look". But they do require the nail to be prepped. It is important to follow the steps on How to make them last, otherwise you'll simply end up with a disappointment. On the downside, and this part is very upsetting, they take way too long to dry up. So I am giving them 2 out of 5** (1 for color selection, 1 for smooth even finish) (-1 for difficulty of use, -1 for dry time, -1 for easy chip)

If you are one of the lovers out there, I'd suggest you follow the before mentioned steps to make your nails last longer with this brand.
 
 
Good for:
  • People who want quality look for less, but
  • Are willing to invest time or have lots of free time for prepping their nails, and
  • Touching up every 3-4 days
  • Girls that have the patience to wait at least 20 minutes to dry up in between coats and 1+ for the nails to fully dry)
Bad for:
  • People who want good results in less time
  • Those that do not like to prep their nails
  • When looking for enamels that dry fast

Don't forget to follow!! Please comment bellow with your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, and experiences!!

8 comments:

  1. I sort of like that green color!! Stopping into follow and say hey from today's blog hop. Hope you can return the visit soon - I'd love a follow via GFC and Google+ Have a great day!! www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, especially for spring time! I stopped by and really loved your writing style with some very interesting topics. I definitively look forward to your future posts!

      Delete
  2. Love the picture with the nail polish piled up and dripping over! Awesome! Great blog! I'm stopping by from the BHE blog hop! Hope you can take a minute to check out my blog! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/p/5-day-blog-hop.html Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eveli! Yes love the pic, has a mosaic effect to it. I'd be sure to stop by and follow!!

      Delete
  3. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog earlier today. I will definitely follow you. Well written review, and try timely for me--I'm going to start manicuring again. Thanks! -Yoli of http://www.yolidreams.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following back!! Its good that you pamper yourself. especially with pretty nails!! Let me know how it goes!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am now following you :)
    I love the nail polish, love the colors. I'll definitely have to give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. Following you as well. And let me know when you try them out!

      Delete