CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mary Kay Botanical Effects Skincare review



Mary Kay is a world renown beauty company that has been around 49 years, since 1963. So they've had time to build up quite the reputation on their skincare and make-up line. I've tried a couple of their products, but have limit myself to only a few such as the "Satin Hands kit" and "Eye makeup remover"  (which I'll eventually review) because honestly I find their prices waaaaaay to expensive for my taste. So I am extremely selective as to what I'll try out from them. 

But recently they released a new "Botanical Effects" skin care line which caught my eye because it is: 
  • Formulated for sensitive skin
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Fragrance free
  • Rich in antioxidants 
It comes in three different formulas:
  1. Dry: with flaxseed  and sea kelp extract for that extra moisture the skin needs. 
  2. Normal: with frangipani extract which protects the skin from environmental stressors and water lily extract which provides antioxidants and minerals.
  3. Oily: with white tea tree for purification and guava extract for exfoliation and provides salicylic acid. 
It has four steps:
  1. Cleanser (4 oz. at $14)
  2. Freshener (5 fl. oz. at $14)
  3. Moisturizer (4 fl. oz. at $16)
  4. Mask (4 oz. at $14)

I purchased  all four steps of the Balanced Formula

Steps and thoughts:


    1. Cleanser (4 oz.) - It is a very light cream that does not lather up or create any foam. Personally, I am not liking this. I don't feel it cleanses my face properly. So I end up using a large amount of product to feel like is actually washing away some dirt. Because of this, I will run out of product in two months. And for $14 a pop, I find it is not worth the money.  Also, I know it doesn't clean up well because after I use the freshener, the cotton ball picks up a lot of dirt the cleanser left behind. I won't be repurchasing this.




    2. Freshener (5 fl. oz.) - It is alcohol free so it does not dry up my skin. I love this. It feels like water, with the added bonus that it moisturizes the skin and leaves it feeling fresh and smooth. It also does a great job picking up any dirt left behind from the cleanser. I find it to be much better than a toner, which all that I've tried had alcohol in them and there for dried up my skin. This freshener is a keeper.





    3. Moisturizer (4 fl. oz.) - It's very light and watery. A bit thicker than the freshener. So a little goes a long way. It does not have sun protection (so a sun lotion is advised) but can be used at night. Even though it does its job, I am not loving it for the price. So I will continue searching for something better.






    4. Mask (4 oz.) - This is my favorite of them all. It is a deep exfoliate mask. You can either use it to exfoliate your skin in the shower and quickly wash it off, or leave it on as a mask for 10 minutes for a much deeper cleanse. This will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth and shine free. It left my face looking clearer after the first use. I also noticed that my cheek pores seemed smaller afterwards. This is another keeper.




    Please let me know if you've tried any of these or any of their other skincare products and what has been your thoughts and experiences with them.

    16 comments:

    1. Pretty blog! Found you on the blog hop, follow back at http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/ Have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Just returned the love, looking forward to reading your reviews!

        Delete
    2. I've only bought Mary Kay one time, I know people who love it though! Thanks for following my blog, returning the favor :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My pleasure! I'm looking forward to reading your posts! Have a great day!

        Delete
    3. I like their satin hands lotion. Following on GFC from the blog hop!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Me too, I love all three steps. Even for the price is a good deal because I only use it once a week so it will last me at least 6-9 months

        Delete
    4. Thanks for following Mommy Time Out. I'm already a follower:)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No problem and thank you for following back, I'll be sure to stop by your blog as often as I can!

        Have a wonderful day

        Delete
    5. Thanks for the review, dude i want to purchase this complete box as soon as possible but please give me a answer of my question. My skin is dry and very sensitive and i have dart circles on my eyes around these skin care products are better for my skin?
      Benefits of Coffee on Skin

      ReplyDelete
    6. My sister has purchased this complete set. It's great. I really loved these products. Thanks for sharing this great information about skin care products. Skin Care Austin

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hello Edwin Steve very nice post. laser hair removal Houston very important.Its really needed. laser hair removal Houston.

      ReplyDelete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    9. i used these products too. my skin is quite sensitive and acne prone skin. i dont like the hydrate bcoz it left my skin oily during the day, and the cleanser doesnt cleanses my face properly. at the end it makes my skin worst and so hard to handle the acne.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks for posting! I've been thinking about trying this set after finishing MK's Clearproof line, because while I do have a bit of acne, I think a regime for oily skin could keep it under control without drying too much...like the Clearproof is doing now. :/

      Honestly, the Clearproof is really good, but you have to know when to let up and let your face rest or just apply a moisturizer.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Oh, I forgot to mention that I love, love, love the Mary Kay lash love mascara; while it is expensive, a little goes a long way and I only end up purchasing it about three times a year on ebay for maybe $8-9. Most of all the MK products I've tried are at least good, some are definitely more outstanding than others.

      ReplyDelete